Sage 200cloud is much more capable software than Sage 50cloud (previously known as Sage 50), so it’s an obvious destination for Sage 50 users that need to upgrade. It stores, and so can report on, much richer financial, sales and other data; it can handle many more transactions; it allows more users; it’s more flexible and can be readily customised or integrated with other software.
Protronics’ handles complex Sage 50 to Sage 200cloud upgrades, indeed we occasionally rescue Sage 200 implementations started by other people, so you can be sure we also handle straight-forward upgrades competently.
Even though we of course think we’re a great partner to work with when upgrading from Sage 50, choosing to work with us isn’t your most important step towards a successful upgrade. The most important step is getting the scope and ambition of the project right by: understanding where you’re starting from; what you need to achieve; and how these are reflected in the shape of the upgrade project.
Where you are starting from
Sage 200cloud will allow you to do much more than Sage 50, but understanding where you are starting from will tell you how equipped your organisation is for change. These questions are a starting point:
- Are you planning in advance of when you need to upgrade from Sage 50; should you already have upgraded; should you have upgraded some time ago
- Do you have one or more qualified accountants in your finance team.
- Has your finance team been under resourced or perhaps even under valued
- To what extent do you think about and manage IT related risk in your business
- If you’re an owner managed business to what extent do you also rely on professional managers
- What capacity does your organisation have for change
What you need to achieve
When you know how prepared you are, you then need to know how big a step is planned. While the details of what you need to achieve will be unique to you, they will often fall into one or more of the following broad categories:
- A souped up Sage 50, able to handle more transactions, more users. But otherwise as little change as possible.
- Sage 50, but with one or two specific things that Sage 50 can’t do resolved
- Sage 50 level capabilities, perhaps with a few gains now, but principally a platform for the future
- Improved financial reporting and tighter procedures
- Extensive improvements now, such as: improved financial reporting; improved performance reporting; integration or customisation; a rapid move to procedures; improved control
- Moving from user friendly Sage 50 to more formal and accountant friendly software
- Falling in line with group policy regarding which accounts software to use
Shape of the project
How prepared you are, set against how much change is needed, should in turn shape your project. The consequences are many and varied, but in some instances they should be as uncompromising as shutting the project down before it starts. Happier outcomes may include:
- Starting the upgrade to Sage 200cloud after investment to improve the business’ capacity for change, or commiting to doing so alongside the upgrade from Sage 50
- A resolute focus on ensuring the project aims remain as Sage 50 plus a little, which reduces complexity, timescales and cost
- Clarity about where you can and can’t compromise in order to manage project risk or to stay within budget
- Clear priorities so that timescales match the rate of change your organisation can handle
- Understanding in detail what resources the upgrade to Sage 200 will need from your business, and where you should and shouldn’t rely on your Sage partner
We would highlight the divide between:
- An upgrade to Sage 200cloud that only needs to deliver “Sage 50 plus a little”, which can to a great extent simply be handed to us to deliver
- And any project with greater scope and involving more change, which is more demanding and for which collaboration needs to be central
Why upgrade to Sage 200cloud with Protronics
- We’re competent and experienced (most of our staff have worked with Sage software for 10 or more years).
- It’s a project from when we first talk to you, not a siren songed sale handed to a bemused, and time pressured, team to implement
- We understand Sage upgrade projects are often more difficult for the client than for us (after all they’re what we do), so we cross the line to support you
For experienced, practical and frank advice on whether upgrading to Sage 200cloud is right for you, please call or email us and ask to speak to our Sage implementation team.